Make limoncello at home
• 1L water
• 1L vodka
• 1kg sugar
• 8 large lemons
• Begin by thoroughly washing the lemons and drying them with a paper towel or clean tea towel.
• Peel the lemons. Place the vodka in a large bottle and add the lemon zest. Close the bottle and allow the vodka to infuse for at least seven days.
• Next, put the water in a pot and bring to the boil.
Dissolve the sugar in the water. Set aside and allow to cool.
• The vodka should now be yellow in colour and smell strongly of lemon. Combine the vodka mixture with the sugar mixture and allow to infuse for approximately 30 days.
• Using a sieve, strain the limoncello to remove the zest.
Place into bottles and refrigerate. Limoncello can be stored in the freezer and will not freeze because of the alcohol content. Allow the limoncello to infuse for two weeks before serving. Serve cold.
To make arancello, simply substitute the lemons for oranges and follow the same procedure.